Your community matters

Garbage, recycling help available for disabled residents

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.


WAKE FOREST — The town of Wake Forest is in the process of updating the Collection Assistance Program. The initiative provides backyard pickup of garbage and recycling for residents who are physically unable to wheel their carts to the curb and have no one living with them who can do it.

An internal review of the program identified the need for administrative changes to ensure that residents currently served by the program meet one of the following requirements:

• 1. have a permanent disability, and no able-bodied person residing with them to move containers to the curb;

• 2. have a temporary disability, and no able-bodied person residing with them to move containers to the curb.

As part of the town’s effort to update the CAP, the Public Works Department will mail letters and applications to all current participants during the week of March 11. Those who wish to remain in the program will be required to resubmit the enrollment application no later than Monday, April 1.

The CAP application consists of two parts. Part A must be completed and submitted by the customer, while Part B requires completion by a physician or physician’s assistant.

Completed applications may be submitted online; mailed or delivered to Collection Assistance Program, Public Works Department, 234 Friendship Chapel Road, Wake Forest NC 27587; or emailed to Betty Pearce at

All applications received by the April 1 deadline will be reviewed by public works staff. Applicants will be notified regarding their CAP status no later than Tuesday, April 30. As part of the application review process, town staff may schedule a site visit to ensure garbage and recycling carts are accessible to town contractors and crews.

Any current CAP participant who no longer wishes to participate in the CAP is encouraged to contact Betty Pearce at 919-435-9570 or email at

For more information or to complete the application online, visit