Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
The Wake County Public School System are preparing for students to be out for more than the two weeks ordered by Gov. Roy Cooper, the district superintendent said Tuesday.
“As health officials have said many times, there is still much to learn about COVID-19. What they learn is likely to disrupt our school operations for weeks to come. It is quite possible traditional schooling will not return to normal well beyond March 30,” Superintendent Cathy Moore wrote in a press release Tuesday.
In response to comments about the information on Twitter, the district said it is prepared for school to be out anywhere from eight to 20 weeks as dictated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“As we look ahead, be aware that state education leaders are currently evaluating the most basic elements of school operations such as state exams and school calendars. We can expect that other school practices and traditions will be disrupted,” Moore wrote.
The district plans to share additional information about how remote learning will be handled, including expectations, next week. The purpose is to reinforce concepts that have been previously taught in order to keep children engaged and reduce learning loss, Moore wrote.
Spring break will remain April 6-13, following guidance from the state Board of Education.
WCPSS will update parents through press releases, social media and emails. Individual schools will also share updates on their websites.
“I know that our community is experiencing uncertainty and anxiety as we respond and adjust to the evolving impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. As a strong, resilient, and compassionate community that cares, I know that we will continue to support each other,” Moore said.