Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
The North Carolina Parent Teacher Association has announced that 18 North Carolina schools have received the National PTA School of Excellence designation for the 2019-20 school year.
National PTA School of Excellence is a recognition program that rewards partnerships between PTAs and schools that enhance the educational environment and student well-being. By receiving this designation, these schools have successfully implemented a year-long improvement plan, and are receiving this distinction for two years. Additionally, winners receive a $2,000 grant and automatic consideration for the Phoebe Apperson Hearst Award, awarded for outstanding family engagement.
2019-2020 North Carolina winners are:
• Wendell Creative Arts and Science Magnet Elementary School PTA, Wendell
• Bethesda Elementary PTA, Durham
• Blythe Elementary PTA, Huntersville
• Charles E. Jordan High School PTSA, Durham
• Conn Elementary PTA, Raleigh
• Croft Community School PTA, Charlotte
• George Watts PTA, Durham
• International School at Gregory PTA, Wilmington
• Hope Valley Elementary PTA, Durham
• J.W. York Elementary School PTA, Raleigh
• Mary P. Douglas Elementary School PTA, Raleigh
• New Century Middle School PTA, Fayetteville
• New Town Elementary PTA, Waxhaw
• Parkwood Elementary PTA, Durham
• Smith Farm Elementary PTA, Winston-Salem
• Sternberger Elementary PTA, Greensboro
• Wakefield Elementary School PTA, Raleigh
• Wilson’s Mills Elementary PTA, Wilsons Mills
North Carolina PTA is the state’s oldest and largest volunteer organization advocating for every child to reach their full potential. Founded in 1919 and affiliated with National PTA, there are more than 960 Parent Teacher Associations in schools across the state with more than 110,000 members. PTAs provide advocacy, vital volunteers, and material resources to their schools. NCPTA supports PTA units and provides programs, training, and advocacy on behalf of North Carolina’s children.